[R] R and package don't know they're built on same system

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Mar 18 14:57:41 CET 2004

"Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> writes:

> One thing to make sure is that all compilers used match; i.e., all 32-bit or
> all 64-bit.  On our SLES8 pre-installed on Opteron, g++ was left out of the
> 64-bit toolchain.  R itself compiled fine (as 64-bit), but some packages
> failed to install.  It was strange because the packages were built, but
> failed to load.  I was only able to track it down because I happen to know
> that the packages that failed contain C++ code, so they were compiled with
> the 32-bit g++, and thus cannot be loaded into 64-bit R.

Not sure which system Ross is referring to (i.e. built from scratch,
or a distribution?) but there are bi-arch systems for the Opteron
which get confused.  This, along with Andy's guess about g++, suggest
the possibility of a mix-up.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}