[R] learning to debug

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sun Mar 21 15:38:59 CET 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:09:47 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Hello
>I am trying to follow the instruction in README.debug
>on how to debug a code I wrote, so since it only shows
>the steps on how to debug a built in function and not
>a code in an *.R file, so ok, let me do this and maybe
>later I can find out how to code my code in
>filename.R.

You were using the contributed debug package; you may need the
maintainer (Mark V. Bravington <mark.bravington at csiro.au>) to help you
out.

In the meantime, you can probably do what you want with the more
limited built-in debug facilities provided through the debug()
function.  See ?debug for help on it.

One thing to note: R doesn't know anything about filename.R, it
doesn't have a concept of the source of a function.  You will be
debugging an internal copy of the function.  It's not like a source
level debugger in other languages.

Duncan Murdoch