[R] solved mystery of difference between glmmPQL and lme

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Mon Mar 22 16:39:57 CET 2004

I asked a few days ago about the difference in results I saw between the
MASS function glmmPQL (due to Venables and Ripley) and the lme function
from the package nlme (due to Pinheiro and Bates).  When the two tools
apply to the same model (gaussian, link=identity, correlation=AR1), I
was getting different results and wondered if there was an argument in
favor of one or the other.

Several list readers emailed me to point out that glmmPQL is repeatedly
calling lme, so if a model really can be estimated by lme, then lme is
the more appropriate one because it is maximum likelihood, rather than
quasi-likelihood.

That did not explain the difference in results, so I read the source
code for  glmmPQL and learned that it sets the method for lme fitting to
  "ML".  In contrast, lme defaults to "REML".  The estimates from
glmmPQL and lme (method="ML") are identical in my test case.

pj
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504