[R] optimal hardware for computations in R?

Paul Y. Peng ypeng at math.mun.ca
Tue Mar 23 15:08:00 CET 2004

I recently ordered a computer which is intended to run both WindowsXP
and Linux (of course both versions of R as well). Before placing the
order, I discussed it with our system managers. They highly recommanded
a system with one P4 CPU with Intel's so called "hyper-threading"
technology over a system with two CPU's, and they claimed that both OS's
can take benefits from the "hyper-threading" technology. I haven't got
the machine yet and don't know how fast it is. At least this is another
option available.

Paul.