[R] optimal hardware for computations in R?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Mar 23 15:34:33 CET 2004

I thought there are quite a bit of evidence that Hyper-Threading may be more
of a debit than credit under many conditions.  Is that not so?  We have a
dual Xeon box running Linux, and we disabled the HT.

If the computing tasks will ever reach the 3GB limit on memory, the best
choice is still AMD64.  Even though we have 8GB on the dual Xeon, each
process is still limited to 3GB of RAM.  For our application, we'd get as
much RAM as possible, and not necessarily the fastest CPU.  The dual Opteron
244 we have is about 0%-15% faster than the dual 2.4GHz Xeon, depending on
the tasks.

Also, you can easily make use of dual CPUs with Luke's `snow' package.

Andy