[R] PL/R article

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 23 21:03:26 CET 2004

Joe Conway <mail at joeconway.com> writes:

> In case anyone is interested, here is a link to an online article
> written by someone in the Postgres community, covering PL/R:
>

> see (cover):
> http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/66.php
>
> and follow to (article):
> http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/bernier/art_66/graphingWithR.html
>
> PL/R is a procedural language handler for PostgreSQL, that allows
> Postgres functions to be written in, and executed by, R.

Interesting article.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Joe.

There are a couple of quotes that I like, such as "It's simply amazing
the things that you can learn when data is presented in a graphical
format."

It appears that the author is using <<- when he only needs <- in one
function definition.  There isn't anything peculiar about PL/R that
would require <<-, is there?

Also, there are a couple of "Don't try this at home, kids" typos like
using

 apt-get install R

which I think should be

 apt-get install r-base

or even

 apt-get install r-recommended

(The Debian packaging system doesn't allow upper case in names, which
is why I called the original Debian package "r-base".)