[R] statistical significance test for cluster agreement

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 24 12:29:06 CET 2004

[Apology to the list for the off-topic rant...]

As it turned out, I also have a problem with LOF/GOL/etc. tests:  I'd bet
most of the time when such a test is carried out, it is _not_ the only test
being done, but the p-values in the downstream analysis are almost never
adjusted for this.  How valid would the p-values be?

IMHO, it's bad enough that users of statistical methods do things like this,
but it's quite something else that statisticians do just the same, or even
promote such tests.  It's not a crime to do analysis like that, but to treat
the p-values as if they actually are meaningful probably ought to be
outlawed.

OK, I better run for cover now...

Andy