[R] colors, lines, characters .... documentation

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 24 17:35:43 CET 2004

Here is a little function that will show available colors in groups
of 100 at a time.
I've only tested it in an X windows environment.

function (indx = 0:6)
{
     for (ii in unique(indx)) {
         is <- 100 * ii + 1:100
         if (min(is) > length(colors())) {
             cat("Maximum value of arg is", floor(length(colors())/100),
                 "\n")
             return(NULL)
         }
         foo <- matrix(colors()[is], nrow = 10)
         par(mar = c(3, 3, 0.25, 0.25))
         plot(1:10, 1:10, type = "n", yaxt = "n", xlab = "", ylab = "")
         axis(2, at = 1:10, lab = 10:1)
         for (j in 1:10) {
             for (i in 1:10) {
                 points(j, 11 - i, col = foo[i, j], pch = 16,
                   cex = 4)
                 text(j, 11 - i - 0.3, foo[i, j], cex = 0.8)
             }
         }
         if (length(indx) > 1 & ii < max(indx))
             readline(paste("Currently showing group", ii, "  CR to continue "))
     }
     invisible(foo)
}

-Don