[R] subsetting based on vector

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 25 16:53:36 CET 2004

Since you are interested in subsetting, a little search of the online
help such as

    help.search('subset')

will reveal the subset() function. Which you could use, for example, like this:

dataFIT<-function(MODEL, MARGINS, yearConsidered){
    library(foreign
    CovPaper<-read.spss("C:/Data/data.sav")
    NewData <- subset(CovPaper, YEAR %in% yearConsidered)

   #fit model to data #
}

If you truly need NewData to be a list, use as.list(). Also, within
the context of your example, you don't need all the quotes; you can
use CovPaper$YEAR instead of CovPaper$"YEAR".

Also check the documentation of the function(s) you are using to fit
the model(s) for a subset argument; that might be sufficient for your
needs.

-Don