[R] With which version of XFree86 can R compile?

Fri Mar 26 18:11:39 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 10:30, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> It isn't clear that R is currently friendly to the new XFree 4.4
> license.  I believe that there is an advertising clause for linking --
> does anyone know if this has been addressed or clarified?  I've not
> been following those issues for a few months.
>
> best,
> -tony

<snip>

It has not been resolved and most? distros are moving away from XFree
4.4 as a result. There was a thread on ./ on this back in February:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/18/131223&tid=104

Fedora Core 2 (which is in beta testing at the moment) has already moved
to X.org's X server, which is based upon XFree 3.99.??, which is the
last update before the license change.

This change has (not surprisingly) resulted in a plethora of package
dependency issues, which are in the process of being resolved and
concerns of course with video drivers and the like.

It is not clear to me from the information that Susumu provided, whether
this is the cause of the problem. I have not seen any indication that,
other than the licensing issues, there are other substantive changes
that would result in the problems posted here.

It may very well be, but it may also simply be a corrupted installation
of the X libraries and/or devel source.

The indications from Mike Harris at RH/FC is that the adoption of the
new X.org server would be "transparent" to the end user. If so, then the
problems posted here "should not be" related to the XFree version
change.

However, that premise would need to be validated.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz