[R] Accurate area map projections

White.Denis@epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Mar 26 19:06:09 CET 2004

Just catching up on r-help, ignore if you have already have moved on ...

I almost always use the Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection (called
"azequalarea" in the maps package).  Unless the study area is unusually
elongated this projection will give good performance.  In fact, it has
lower average distortion (but not lower extreme distortion) than the
standard projection used for the conterminous US, the Albers conical
equal-area.  See:  Kimerling AJ, Overton WS, White D. 1995. Statistical
comparison of map projection distortions within irregular
areas. Cartography and Geographic Information Systems 22(3):205-221,
(pdf available at http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/staff/white/pubs.htm)

Denis White
   US EPA, 200 SW 35th St, Corvallis, Oregon, 97333 USA
   voice: 541.754.4476, email: white.denis at epa.gov
   web: www.epa.gov/wed/pages/staff/white/