[R] With which version of XFree86 can R compile?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 27 14:23:22 CET 2004

On 26 Mar 2004, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Note this is not R as distributed by R-core (which does not have
> > dataentry_mb.c) but I believe some `Japanized' distribution.  People might
> > want to check if the problem is in the changes (which I suspect) or R
> > itself.
>
> Yes. On the other hand, the original dataentry.c begins with
>
> #include "Defn.h"
> #include "Print.h"
>
> /* don't use X11 function prototypes (which tend to ...): */
> #define NeedFunctionPrototypes 0
> #include <X11/X.h>
> #include <X11/Xlib.h>
>
> and there is the off chance that the newer X11 is using a symbol in
> our Defn.h or Print.h. If so, then we'd like to hear about it ASAP...

I downloaded the XFree86-4.4.0 sources.  One issue is that
NeedFunctionPrototypes is no longer supported in constructs like

extern XFontStruct *XLoadQueryFont(
#if NeedFunctionPrototypes
    Display*            /* display */,
    _Xconst char*       /* name */
#endif
);

which explains the warnings on incompatible types.  However, removing

#define NeedFunctionPrototypes 0

does not cause the other errors on my XFree86 (8.3.3 I think).

More digging needed ....

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk