[R] Could someone email me with the code for glm.nb ?

J.Brainard@uea.ac.uk J.Brainard at uea.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 08:46:59 CEST 2004

It is a pity that both times I have tried to use R  and the R-mailing
list that I received unpleasant replies, esp. coming from Ripley
himself this time.  Last time I simply asked "Why would I want to
use R over Splus??"  Which provoked some apologies that I wasn't to
know that this would touch a nerve, in addition to a volume of ranting
and raving.  At least Ripley's reply wasn't vitriolic.

I did not install R.  I wouldn't even try.  It's available centrally
running on a Unix machine.  Trying to access glm.nb() at the R prompt
leads to these replies from R:

>glm.nb
Error: "glm.nb" Object not found

Which is why I though I could just ask for the simple text
function code, type it in, correct typos, make it work, fool-proof,
low hassle....  Hahahahahahahhaa.

I don't have root priveleges and unashamedly
admit to not having the ability to install either MASS or the
negbin shell archive library (I spent many frustrating failed hours last
time I tried to do that).  I didn't realise R was only for software
whizzes.  Now I know!

Investment in people is not my employer's strong suit.  Seems to come
with university environments.  Some of us aren't that important -- except
as convenient targets for being belittled, of course.

Maybe the employer will fork out for me to learn Stata and Limdep
instead, eh?  At least the user-support-groups & might be friendlier.
I had foolishly thought that the R community, having an ethos of self-
sufficiency, might be friendlier and more responsive than going
via the Splus list.  Boy am I stupid or what?

-Julii