[R] Where: package licenses

Tue Mar 30 17:02:09 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 08:51, Jason.L.Higbee at stls.frb.org wrote:
> R:
>
> This stems from my curiosity about the previous thread about  a
> request
> for glm.nb code.  The issue of package licenses was brought up and I
> was
> hoping for some clarification on that.  Using the function license()
> or
> licence() gives info on the license for R, but something like
> license(MASS) does not give info on the license for the MASS package
> (perhaps it might be good to expand the license function in the way
> described).  A quick look on CRAN didn't yield any info on package
> licenses either.

For the CRAN add on packages (which includes the 'recommended'
packages), each has the license information under the description. For
example, MASS which is part of the VR bundle, is here:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html#VR

The information is as follows:

License: GPL (version 2 or later)

Some of the packages are released under other licenses or have
restrictions on commercial use or distribution. Read each one carefully.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz