[R] results from t-test

F. Patrick Graz pgraz at polytechnic.edu.na
Sat May 1 15:40:54 CEST 2004

Greetings,
I'm rather new to R, and only just subscribed to the mailing list.

I have run into a strange result in a t-test. The data represents the
the hypothetical differences obtained for a t-test for dependent samples.

All the numeric output looks OK, but the statement that the alternative
hypothesis is accepted seems rather strange.

 > data <- c(-6,6,-4,11,6,-3,-12,7,-1,4)
 > length(data)
 > t.test (data,mu=0)

         One Sample t-test

data:  data
t = 0.3548, df = 9, p-value = 0.7309
alternative hypothesis: true mean is not equal to 0
95 percent confidence interval:
  -4.300873  5.900873
sample estimates:
mean of x
       0.8

Can someone explain this? Beware though, I'm a forester and may not
understand too technical explanations.

Patrick