[R] Help making a simple R code only package

Stephen Pavlik pav at uga.edu
Mon May 3 02:04:20 CEST 2004

Hello,
I am new to R and I am trying to figure out how to build and install a
package with nothing but R code inside. I have run 'package.skeleton' to
get the basic structure.

When I run 'Rcmd INSTALL testPackage' I get this error message:

make: *** No rule to make target `Files/R/rw1080'.  Stop.
*** Installation of testPackage failed ***

When I run 'Rcmd build testPackage' I get this error message:

C:\Program Files\R\rw1080>Rcmd build testPackage
* checking for file ' testPackage /DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing ' testPackage ':
* cleaning src
* checking whether 'INDEX' is up-to-date ... OK
* removing junk files
* building ' testPackage_1.0.tar.gz'
tar: Files/R/rw1080/ testPackage_1.0.tar: Cannot stat: No such file or
directory
tar: Files/R/rw1080/ testPackage_1.0.tar: Not found in archive
tar: Files/R/rw1080/ testPackage_1.0.tar: Cannot stat: No such file or
directory
tar: testPackage: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
testPackage_1.0.tar: No such file or directory

This is on a Windows machine running XP Pro and R version 1080.

I sure would appreciate some help. I have read the manual but I don't
understand much of what is being discussed.

Stephen