[R] increasing memory

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue May 4 14:28:40 CEST 2004

Janet Rosenbaum wrote:

> Hi.  I want to use R with very large files, a couple hundred megabytes,
> but R crashes every time that I try.
>
> Reading help files seems to indicate that R ought to manage its memory
> itself.  I know I have enough memory since stata handles these files
> perfectly well.  I have a mac running OS 10.3 and am running RAqua 1.8.1.
>
> Is there anything I can do to make it deal with these files successfully?
>
> Janet

I guess you mean R gives an error, but does *not* crash (if it crashes,
it is a bug that needs to be fixed, and you should cross-check with a
recent version of R).

If it gives an error, either read in the data in a more appropriate way
(if there is any, but we do not know how you tried to read in the data),
or "increase memory" as the subject already suggests.

Uwe Ligges