[R] cgi/servlets/httpd in R

foobar wwsprague at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 5 19:09:33 CEST 2004

Hi R-helpers

Has anyone had any experience doing CGI or Servlets or using an httpd
server in R?

Context:  we are interested in running dynamic demographic calculations
on the internet (life tables, and such) in response to form submissions.
  I might do simple cgi to get started, but loading in data each time
seems like it would be quite, quite slow.

I have looked at Rserv, but I am most interested in something non-Java
(once Sun goes the way of the dinosaurs, so will that silly language --
come on, flame me, I can take it!)

If there is a project, I might be able to contribute to it.  If there
isn't, I might start one....

Thanks!
webb