[R] X11 fonts cannot be loaded - SuSE Linux solution

Ulrich Leopold uleopold at science.uva.nl
Thu May 6 11:25:02 CEST 2004

Dear list,

I would like to make a comment how to solve the X11 font problem under
SuSE Linux (9.0) when you get the message:
"X11 font at size 16 could not be loaded".

After having modified /etc/X11/XF86config as root (see below) you have
to run 'SuSEconfig' as root as well else nothing might be changed in the
X-Server.

After that no further messages should appear.

HTH, Ulrich Leopold

> Marc Schwartz wrote:

> It sounds like you might not have scaled versions of your fonts loaded
> in /etc/X11/fs/config
>

> Take a look in there for the following lines, depending upon whether
> you have 75 or 100 dpi fonts loaded:
>

> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
>

> See if there are also the following lines:
>

> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
>

> If one of the second set of lines are not present to correspond with
> one of the first two lines, it is likely that scaled versions of your
> fonts are not being loaded by the font server.
>

> You will need to add the appropriate line to /etc/X11/fs/config as
> root when not running X and then restart X.
>

> In RH (which I use), the console commands would be:
>

> /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -r /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
>

> or
>

> /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -r /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
> /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
>

> I don't want to assume that SUSE has the same commands and/or paths,
> but perhaps. If not, you may just be able to edit /etc/X11/fs/config
> directly, making sure that you verify the paths on your installation
> as well.
>

> Then restart X.
>

> Perhaps another SUSE user here can verify the proper resolution.
>

> Hope that helps.
>

> Marc Schwartz

Ulrich Leopold MSc.

Computational Bio- and Physical Geography (CBPG)
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED)
Faculty of Science
University of Amsterdam
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
NL-1018WV Amsterdam