[R] help on ks.test

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu May 6 16:32:15 CEST 2004

"Janete Borges" <janeteborges at gmx.net> writes:

> Dear All
>
> I need to test the goodness-of-fit of a (Negative) Exponential Distribution
> to a dataset. The parameter of the distribution is unknown. What is the
> appropriate test to do? I've tried the ks.test, although I think this
> isn't the appropriate one, as I don't know the population parameter.
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Janete

The bias of the K-S test with estimated parameters is well known to be
substantial, but I haven't heard about correction terms except (I
think) for the normal distribution.

Embedding the exponential distribution as a hypothesis in a larger
class of distributions (e.g. Gamma or Weibull) might be a useful way
to proceed.