[R] cgi/servlets/httpd in R

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Thu May 6 17:26:36 CEST 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 16:01 Europe/London, Samuelson, Frank*
wrote:

> Here's a related question:  Do any of the mentioned R-web interfaces
> (Rweb, R-Online, CGIwithR, RSPerl) support reusing the same R process,
> eliminating the startup overhead?  This would be useful to me as well.
>
> Currently I use such a method on my computing cluster:  All 40
> compute nodes run an R process/compute server that listens at a socket
> for
> any
> connection and subsequent commands from another computer.
> When the master process disconnects, the R processes go back to
> listening
> at the socket.  Connecting to the R compute servers this way
> takes < 2 milliseconds rather than the typical ~2 second R startup
> time.

I only know about CGIwithR, which is very simple and starts a new R for
every request.  Startup time on my Mac is around 1.3 seconds; for my
own purposes this is absolutely fine, but I can appreciate that it
could well be problematic in certain kinds of application (eg where a
very large amount of data has to be loaded).

Best wishes,
David