[R] sampling weights for lme

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Fri May 7 15:42:49 CEST 2004

< I would like to run a linear *mixed effects* model and also to use
(sample) weighting ...>
I've been trying to do this for 2 decades :)

See
< 9. Pfeffermann, D. , Skinner, C. J. , Holmes, D. J. , Goldstein, H. , and
Rasbash, J.  (1998), ``Weighting for unequal selection probabilities in
multilevel models (Disc: p41-56)'', Journal of the Royal Statistical
Society, Series B, Methodological, 60 , 23-40 >

which refers back to:
<29. Pfeffermann, D. , and LaVange, L.  (1989), ``Regression models for
stratified multi-stage cluster samples'', Analysis of Complex Surveys,
237-260 >

If you don't like statistical papers, then see section 4.5 of <8. Korn,
Edward Lee , and Graubard, Barry I.  (1999), ``Analysis of health surveys'',
John Wiley & Sons (New York; Chichester) > They explain the idea of using
weights in a model fairly simply.

And I would always recommend Rick's (us hillbillies gotta stick together:)
book:  <5. Valliant, Richard , Dorfman, Alan H. , and Royall, Richard M.
(2000), ``Finite population sampling and inference: a prediction approach'',
John Wiley & Sons (New York; Chichester) > as a general fun read.

I didn't really answer your question but...
Bob