[R] contrasts in a type III anova

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri May 7 17:03:19 CEST 2004

Dear David,

The short answer is that in a two-way ANOVA (or an analogous generalized
linear model), the test for the interaction doesn't depend upon the contrast
type, and is identical for "Type-II" and "Type-III" (and, indeed, "Type-I"
-- i.e., sequential) tests. It's the main-effect tests that depend upon
contrast type (for "Type-III" tests), and for which "Type-II" and "Type-III"
tests differ. There's a longer answer in the book with which the car package
is associated (and a longer one still in my Applied Regression text, as well
as other places).

I hope this helps,
 John