[R] RODBC in RAqua

Anthony Darrouzet-Nardi anthony at darrouzet-nardi.net
Mon May 10 22:45:22 CEST 2004

I've been trying to get RODBC working in RAqua. For my database,
let's call it "mydb", when I enter

odbcConnect("mydb")
or
odbcConnect("mydb", uid="postgres", pwd="secret"),

RAqua thinks for about 10 seconds, then crashes.

mydb is a PostgreSQL 7.4.2 database running on my machine (Mac OS X
10.3.3). I am using the pgsqlodbc 7.2.5 driver and the driver manager
that comes built in to OS X 10.2 and later, which is some version of
iodbc.

I should point out that the utility "odbctest", a simple command-line
ODBC compliant interactive SQL client, can successfully connect to my
database with the ODBC connect strings DSN=mydb or DSN=mydb;UID=
postgres;PWD=secret

The odbc.ini file generated by ODBC Administrator (an GUI tool that
comes with OS X) looks like this:

[ODBC Data Sources]
mydb       = PostgreSQL

[ODBC]
Trace         = 0
TraceAutoStop = 0
TraceFile     =
TraceLibrary  =

[mydb]
Driver      = /usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.so
Description = This is my database
username    = postgres
password    = secret
servername  = localhost