[R] "#!/usr/bin/R"

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue May 11 00:01:42 CEST 2004

Webb Sprague <wwsprague <at> ucdavis.edu> writes:

: Is there any documentation on running R like one would run a shell or
: Perl script, with out/input directed appropriately, environment variable
: access, and command switch processing?
:
: I looked some, and even remembered to check the FAQ, but couldn't find
: anything.
:

I think this would be useful beyond cgi scripts too.  In fact, in my
top 10 New Year's wishes for R it was listed (#10):
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/04a/0039.html

I used to use awk heavily but as I use R more and more I find that
I think in R more than the others, effectively losing my facility
with those other languages.  In fact, whenever I have something that seems
more appropriate for awk than for R, then if I do write it in awk
I will often see if I can rewrite it in R to keep the number of tools
used to a minimum. At this point, I would like to do everything I used
to do in awk in R to simplify things down to one language since R
is inevitably used somewhere along the line whenever I use awk.

I am not sure what facilities would be useful for this but I think
that making awk-like things easy, might involve more than just cleaning
up the initialization.