[R] problem with loadURL -- claims newer version used- fixed

William Revelle revelle at northwestern.edu
Tue May 11 05:36:31 CEST 2004

>big5r.txt is delimited by CR not LF, and as R writes it as a binary file,
>that's not the file that got saved.

Thanks.  That was the problem.  I was transferring the files from my
Mac to my web server (also a Mac) using Interarchy.  It was putting
in CRs rather than LFs (the Interarchy options were "old Mac cr" vs.
Unix (lf)").  Changing that transfer option makes it work.

>Same problem with the header on big5r.
>
>Try some octal dumps and find out which step is changing the file.
>
>BTW, I would use load(url(someURL)) these days.

load(url(someURL))  works (once I fixed the transfer to the server),
although I used the other form because I was following the help for
load. Perhaps the ?load comments could be modified to suggest
load(url(someURL)) instead of suggesting loadURL(someURL).

Thanks for the very rapid response.

Bill