[R] Meta-Analysis using lme

Heike Heidemeier HeikeNewslists at gmx.de
Tue May 11 09:50:11 CEST 2004

Dear list-members,

I am trying to use R to conduct a meta-analysis, i.e. I'd like to use a
multi-level model to integrate the findings of a number of primary research
studies.

I set up a simple two level-model (only summary statistics are provided by
each study) as follows:

sapp.lme <- lme(D ~ 1, data = sapp.frame, random = ~ 1 | STUDYNR,
weights=varFixed(~-1+STDERR_D),na.action = na.exclude)

The intercept is random on both levels and the variable stderr_D (the
sampling variance) is supposed to be random only on level one. Besides, I
need to constrain the variance of stderr_d to equal 1.

Could anybody help me correct the code I provided? Thanks in advance for
your time.

Cheers,
Heike Heidemeier