[R] - making a Windows library from Unix source code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 11 10:59:42 CEST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Livingstone, Paul wrote:

> I'm using R1.8.1 on Windows XP.
>
> I'm having trouble producing an R library from source code.  A colleague has written the source code, in Unix.  I've copied the source code across to Windows (with the help files, data files, description and index) and am trying to compile it into a library.
>
> I've "sourced" each of the *.r files and they appear to work.
>
> I've very carefully followed the instructions in the "R for Windows FAQ"
> and "readme.packages".  I've downloaded and installed Perl, R tools,
> copied across the text to

Not `very carefully' as you have spaces in your path: that may well be
the problem.  We don't know what else you have not followed, I am afraid.

> C:\Program Files\R\rw1081\src\library\fatigue
>
> (note: the package is called "fatigue") then I type at the DOS prompt
>
> cd "c:\Program Files\R\rw1081\src\gnuwin32"
> make pkg-fatigue
>
> and get the error message(s)
>
> make[1]: *** [zzzfirst] Error 255
> make: *** [pkg-fatigue] Error 2
>
> How do I look up what Error 255 means?
> Or can you tell me what Error 255 means and how I might fix it?

It's a make error.  What came before that?  All error 255 is telling you
is that there has been a fatal error.

> Any other hints or ideas on how to use "make" or compile code that
> appears to work?

It's not the code, rather the Windows setup.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk