[R] please help with estimation of true correlations and reliabilities

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri May 14 20:40:42 CEST 2004

Dear Jens,

One of the nice features of maximum-likelihood factor analysis, implemented
in factanal(), is that you can test for the number of common factors.

More generally, the estimated uniquenesses will depend upon the number of
common factors. Using sem() requires a stronger initial specification -- not
only the number of common factors, but a prior specification of which
variables load on each. If you make the model too general, it won't be
identified.

Furthermore, although I suggested that you use the uniquenesses to assess
unreliability, the justification for this is clearest in models in which
each variable loads on just one factor. I guess it would help to know a bit
more about the application.

Regards,
 John