[R] GLMM error message

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Sun May 16 23:49:00 CEST 2004

On Sunday 16 May 2004 16:03, Matt Loveland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a few days ago about an error message I'm getting when I use
> GLMM from lme4 to do random effects modelling.
> When I add random effects, I get the following error message:   Error
> in "EMsteps<-"(`*tmp*`, value = control) : invalid source matrix.
>
> (I wanted to note that I've only just started to learn about random
> effects modelling and R, so am a novice at both, but R/lme4 have been
> great up to this hiccup)
>
> I was asked to provide a reproducable example, so here is my try,
> using the guImmun data frame included with the package:
>
> library(lme4)
>      data(guImmun)
>
>  fm1 = GLMM(immun ~ kid2p + mom25p + momWork,
>                data = guImmun, family = binomial,
>                random = ~1|mom)
>
>   fm2 = GLMM(immun ~ kid2p + mom25p + momWork,
>                data = guImmun, family = binomial,
>                random = ~kid2p|mom)
> **
> fm1 produces output, and fm2 gives me the following error message:
>
>         Error in "EMsteps<-"(`*tmp*`, value = control) :
>               invalid source matrix
>
> Is my model statement incorrect?  Are there possible data problems I
> should direct my attention to?
> Any help will be appreciated.

I have looked at this a bit, but haven't been able to figure out why
this is happening. I'm not very familiar with the code, and since this
implementation of lme4 has been abandoned in favor of a new approach,
I'm not sure how much effort we will be able to invest to fix this.

As for the new approach, the good news is that this problem doesn't
happen with it. The bad news is that GLMM works only partially, and
needs some more work before it can be usable.

Deepayan