[R] Debian & R

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed May 19 10:07:07 CEST 2004

v.demartino2 at virgilio.it writes:

> I use linux debian testing for which the latest debianized version of R
> is 1.8.1. Therefore I installed:
>
>  r-base-core_1.8.1-0.cran.1_i386.deb
>  r-base-dev_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-base-html_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-base-latex_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-base_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-doc-html_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-doc-info_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-doc-pdf_1.8.1-0.cran.1_all.deb
>  r-gnome_1.8.1-0.cran.1_i386.deb
>  r-mathlib_1.8.1-0.cran.1_i386.deb
>  r-recommended_1.8.1-0.cran.1_i386.deb
>
> Being impatient of moving to R v. 1.9.0 I would like to install and compile
> R from the source code in the *.tgz file from CRAN.
>
> My question is:
>
> In so doing will  anything be missing with respect to the deb packages I've
> mentioned?
> (e.g. r-gnome? r-mathlab?)

An alternative is to download and expand the sources for R-1.9.0 then
cd to the top-level R source directory and run

 dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

That will build all of the Debian R packages in a form suitable for your
system.

We are still working out how to provide R packages for Debian testing
and Debian stable on CRAN again.  As Dirk Eddelbuettel and Fritz
Leisch and I will have a chance to discuss this during useR!2004 we
should be able to have a new system for the Debian section of CRAN in
place for the 1.9.1 release of R.