[R] Memory Leak in OS X version of R?

David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D. dvanbrunt at well-wired.com
Thu May 20 05:52:26 CEST 2004

This is the conclusion from a prior thread ([R] " cannot allocate vector of
length 1072693248") which ended with no other answer but that there must be
a problem in the OS X version of R, or in the compile of the source on OS X.

I¹ve posted code and data here:
http://www.well-wired.com/reflibrary/uploads/1084503247.zip

If you setwd() into the directory that is made, then ³source()² the ³.R²
file, it should run fine on Windows but crash on any machine with OS X
(Panther) giving: ³Error in as.vector(data) : cannot allocate vector of
length 1073741824² after a few iterations of the loop.

I've repeated this on a Powerbook G4 with 500 MB of RAM, an iMac with 128M
of RAM, and a Dual 2GHz G5 with 1.5 Gig of RAM. Have used the Raqua, the
Frameworks installation, and a fresh compile of the source using Fink in the
X11 implementation. No matter the machine or the version (1.8x through 1.9,
OS X or Unix X11), I get the same result.

Thanks to Andy Liaw for helping me tune the code this far.

I'm stumped. Would love to hear others' experience with this, and if they
can reproduce the problem elsewhere.

--
David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D.
Outlier Consulting & Development