[R] mixed models for analyzing survey data with unequal selec tion probability

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu May 20 17:14:34 CEST 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Baskin, Robert wrote:

> Han-Lin
>
> I don't think I have seen a reply so I will suggest that maybe you could try
> a different approach than what you are thinking about doing.  I believe the
> current best practice is to use the weights as a covariate in a regression
> model - and bytheway - the weights are the inverse of the probabilities of
> selection - not the probabilities.
>
> Fundamentally, there is a difficulty in making sense out of 'random effects'
> in a finite population setting.

I would have thought that it matters why you are fitting a mixed model.
Often people use mixed models when they are just interested in inference
about the mean and need to model the covariances to get valid standard
errors. In that situation you could use an ordinary survey regression to
get a design-based result.

If you are actually interested in variance components then you need some
other approach, and putting the weights into the model as a covariate will
presumably give a valid model-based result (since the weights carry all
the biased sampling information --- like a propensity score).  Presumably
this is also more efficient.

However, it could well be that you don't want those variables in the
model. If the sampling depends on a variable Z correlated with Y and X and
you want to model the distribution of Y given X, not the distribution of Y
given X and Z, you are still in trouble.

	-thomas