[R] Sum of Squares in a lme model

Federico Calboli f.calboli at ucl.ac.uk
Sat May 22 16:27:53 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 13:08, Renaud Lancelot wrote:

> So you might want to use the anova method for lme objects. You probably
> need to set the argument type to "marginal", which is not the default value.
>
> Best,
>
> Renaud

Using anova(my.lme.model), of any type, does not produce the desired MS
and SS. That's despite the help for anova.lme stating:

" When only one fitted model object is present, a data frame with
the sums of squares, numerator degrees of freedom, denominator
degrees of freedom, F-values, and P-values for Wald tests for the
terms in the model (when 'Terms' and 'L' are 'NULL') [they are by
default]..."

I realise this Sum of Squares thing is silly, and fitting a parallel
"lm" model would give me the required SS and MS, but I simply fail to
see why I have to do this considering that the help for anova.lme states
I can get them somehow.

I do hope I am not ranting too much.

Regards,

Federico Calboli