[R] How to define specific location of tick marks in plot()

DJNordlund@aol.com DJNordlund at aol.com
Sat May 22 22:58:53 CEST 2004

Thanks to Prof. Ripley for the rapid response and solution.  The R
developers and contributors to this list are very helpful and generous with  their time
and advice.
Dan Nordlund
In a message dated 5/22/2004 11:41:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk writes:
On Sat, 22 May 2004 DJNordlund at aol.com  wrote:

> I wish to create a series of plots with the same x-axis range  and the
> same placement of tick marks.  In addition I want to force  the tick
> marks to be at specific locations.  For example, if I wish  to have an
> x-axis which goes from 40 to 110, with tick marks at 40, 50,  60, ... ,
> How can I accomplish that?  The various parameters I have  tried changing
> just seem to be suggestions for an internal  definition.
>
> I'm sure this is easy, but I'm obviously missing  something in  the
> docmentation.

par(xaxs="d") is what you  want, but it is not currently implemented.  So
for now use xaxt="n" and  then call axis() with at=.

plot(20:120, 20:120, xaxt="n")
axis(1, at =  seq(40, 110, 10))

Brian D.  Ripley,                   ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Professor of Applied Statistics,   http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of  Oxford,              Te:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks  Road,                      +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG,  UK                 Fax:  +44 1865 272595