[R] Cannot call R's ISNAN() from a C code in >1.7 versions.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 24 08:40:42 CEST 2004

First, there are no versions 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9.

Was your version of R compiled against MSVC++ 6.0?  The binary on CRAN was
not, and binaries for different versions of R were compiled with different
versions of MinGW.  The entry point isnan is part of the statically linked
runtime on modern MinGW.

MSVC++ 6.0 does supply _isnan (as it really should as it is part of the
C99 ISO standard), and you need to link against it appropriately.  Hint:
it may have an extra underline, since it seems it is known to C as _isnan.
You may need to add

#undef ISNAN
#define ISNAN(x) _isnan(x)

We don't support adding extensions to R using a different compiler to the
one used to build R.  Changes already made for future releases of R will
make this less likely to work in R 2.0.x.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk