[R] Is it possible to read jpeg files into R?

Jonathan Williams jonathan.williams at pharmacology.oxford.ac.uk
Thu May 27 14:21:21 CEST 2004

Hi Helpers,
Does anyone know how to read jpeg, bmp or png files into R?
I have some photos of brain scans and I want to quantify
some aspects of their size. I might be able to do this
with the 'locator' function, if I could figure out how
to read the files in and make them into an image that
I can display on the R Windows device. I have experimented
with readBin, using a simple black-and-white line graph,
but the numeric result appears to be much too complex for
a simple line graph and I cannot see how to use image or
contour to re-create the original jpeg image. Is there an
R routine to do this?

Thanks, in advance, for your help,

Jonathan Williams
OPTIMA