[R] Problem: creating shared objects using lapack and blas

Zhu Wang zhuw at mail.smu.edu
Fri May 28 20:11:01 CEST 2004

I am having trouble with creating shared objects with Fortran files,
which use numerical libraries Lapack and Blas. I have read the section
in "Writing R Extensions" but could not find what I needed and I am not
at the stage to create a library.

What I did was

$R CMD SHLIB --output=car file1.f file2.f ... file50.f -llapack -lblas

No error message so far,

But

$>dyn.load("./car")
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library "/home/zwang/R/pkg/car/src/./car":
  /home/zwang/R/pkg/car/src/./car: undefined symbol: slamch_

I think the way I used to link Lapack and Blas was not correct, even
though it worked fine when I used for running Fortran code before.

Thanks for any advice.

Zhu Wang

Statistical Science Department
Southern Methodist University