[R] multiple nesting levels in GEE

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Sat May 29 18:12:03 CEST 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 Aurelie.Cohas at univ-lyon1.fr wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I'm actually trying to fit a gee model with 2 nesting levels since I expect a
> correlation between all members of a litter at a first level and between all
> individuals sharing a mother at a second superior level with an exchangeable
> matrix. I order my dataframe by both mother and litter

The gee() function does not compute this correlation structure (because
no-one has implemented it).  I don't think other software implements it
either, although people keep pointing out that it would be useful.

  This need not matter -- the point of GEE is that the correlation
structure is not important for validity of inference (although it may
affect efficiency).  If you are fitting a linear model I would recommend
lme(), otherwise you should just be able to use an exchangeable model at
the largest clustering size.

	-thomas