[R] summary.lm

Marc R. Feldesman feldesmanm at pdx.edu
Sun May 30 20:50:38 CEST 2004

I ran across this error the other day while using lm().  I confess that I
haven't used it for awhile and haven't been tracking the changes between
versions of R.  However, the piece of code below is a tiny modification of
the example in the help file for "lm".  I just separated the commands apart
for clarity.  A similar piece comes from the help file for "summary.lm".

Aside from simply typing >lm.D90 at the command line, is there no longer a
working summary method for lm.  I've looked at the code for summary.lm and
its first two lines are:

z <- .Alias(object)
     Qr <- .Alias(object$qr)

 >lm.D90 <- lm(weight ~ group )
 > summary(lm.D90)
Error: '.Alias' is defunct.
See ?Defunct.

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    1
minor    9.0
year     2004
month    04
day      12
language R

I'd be perfectly happy to be straightened out here.

Thanks.

Dr. Marc R. Feldesman
Professor and Chairman Emeritus
Anthropology Department - Portland State University
email:  feldesmanm at pdx.edu
email:  feldesman at attglobal.net
fax:    503-725-3905

"Don't knock on my door if you don't know my Rottweiler's name"  Warren Zevon
"Its midnight and I'm not famous yet"  Jimmy Buffett