[R] zipping a new package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun May 30 22:42:10 CEST 2004

Dear Laura,

The normal way to build R packages is to use package-building tools.
Instructions are in the manual Writing R Extensions, which is part of the
standard R distribution, and, for Windows, at the web site
<http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/>.

If you're willing to forgo documentation, you can "fake" a package for R for
Windows by making a zip file. Some slightly out-of-date instructions for
doing so are at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/instructors.html>.

Although it's initially more trouble, I'd recommend going the former route.

I hope this helps,
 John