[R] time dependency of Cox regression

array chip arrayprofile at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 18:08:43 CET 2004

Thanks very much for the suggestion. still some
quiestions. In your example of splitting the covariate
into 6 time-dependent covariates (6 records per
person), will the survival time and censored status be
the same for each of the 6 records? If that's the
case, how does the model know that each of the 6
time-dependent covariates corresponds to 6 consecutive
time points?

I am thinking about create a dummy factor variable
called "time" to indicate which time interval each
patient's survival time is in. For example, if a
patient's survival time is less than 2 years, then the
dummy variable is 2, and so on for each patient. Then
I specify a covariate x time interaction term in the
Cox regression. I would assume the Cox regression will
return a separte hazard ratio for each level of the
dummy factor variable which corresponds to the hazard
ratio of each year. Is this a reasonable way to do it?

Thanks