[R] Conversion of strings to expressions

Alexander Sokol alexandersokol at ofir.dk
Thu Nov 4 15:00:21 CET 2004

Hello,

I'm not sure how to state my question in a technically accurate manner, so
I'll use a short example to clarify my problem:

Say I have a vector,

vec<-c(1,2,3,2)

I would like to be able to "reference" the vector by using the string
containing the name of the vector - that is, I would like to know of some
function which is able to convert the string "vec" into the vector vec itself.
The purpose of this is to be able to do something like

>somefunc("vec")==2
[1] FALSE TRUE FALSE TRUE

I hope it is clear from this what the problem is. It seems to me that the
function desired is akin to a sort of "inverse" to the quote() function, but I
have been unable to find such a function.

I am using R 1.9.1 on Windows 2000 SP4. Does anyone have a suggestion of how
to solve the problem?

Thanks,
 Alexander