[R] Sweave and transparent PDF?

Friedrich.Leisch@tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 5 12:24:39 CET 2004

  > Hello,
  > I have run across the following problem:

  > Creating PDF files manually by using

  > pdf(version=1.4)

  > I can make graphs using the new transparency feature of R2.0. If,
  > however, I try to create the same graphs with Sweave, all transparent
  > stuff is gone. This os likely due to the default version parameter in in
  > pdf().

  > How can I tell Sweave to use the newer PDF version? The parameter seems
  > to be hard-coded (not via some option) and I could not come up with some
  > kind of hook ...

Good point, currently I see no way short of directly creating the PDF
file and manually including it in latex, i.e., do

<<fig=false>>=
pdf(file="foo.pdf", version="1.4")
myplot(...)
dev.off()
@

\incudegraphics{foo}

But we should think about a more general mechansim to specify defaults
for the PDF device (not only for Sweave).

                        Friedrich Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch