[R] writing a simple package in R 2.0 under Windows XP

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sun Nov 7 15:52:04 CET 2004

H Patrick Giraudoux <patrick.giraudoux <at> univ-fcomte.fr> writes:

:
: Dear listers,
:
: I have developped a set of functions that I would like to package on a
: Windows XP plateform for some friends (this would be more simple than to
: deliver them as a source text file without handy help). I am working under
: Windows XP.
:
: Of course I have gone through the manual "Writing R extension" and try to
: sort out what a most simple "packaging" for beginner (without compiled
: code, etc...)  could be. I also read
: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/staff/ericg/RWinBuild.html It is very easy to build
: R packages in Windows (for Windows)...
:
: Perl has been installed and works fine C:\Perl (source
: http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/Download.html).
: R Tools have been installed: C:\Perl\Rtools (source:
: http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/tools.zip)
: R tools functions delivered work fine (ex: ls, etc...)
: R has been installed "at the root" of C:\ to avoid any blank in directory
: names: C:\R\rw2000
: The PATH has been defined as environment variable in Windows XP as:
: C:\Perl\Rtools;C:\Perl\bin;...;C:\R\rw2000\bin
:
: A trial package named "AnExample" has been prepared as indicated in the
: example of package.skeleton() of the library "utils" and put in C:\
:
: from there I have typewritten:
:
: C:\>RCMD build AnExample
:
: With this result:
:
: Can't open perl script "C:\R\rw2000/bin/build": No such file or directory
:
: I could catch that indeed 'build.exe' does not exist in this directory
: (which is true...) and tried to find it somewhere on my c: disk.
: Unfortunately, this 'build' or 'build.exe' file does not exist nor a
: 'check' file, nor any complementary command of Rcmd
:
: After some research hours (actually since yesterday...), I cannot find
: where I have got wrong yet... and considering the result, I am sure I got
: somewhere!
:
: Can somebody help me on this?
:

There have been relevant discussions on r-devel just this weekend.
Have a look at those archives

   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel

and this post in particular:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/1653