[R] R under Pocket PC

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 13:27:05 CET 2004

On 9 Nov 2004, at 5:14 pm, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>>> PalmOS would probably be right out.  :-)
>>
>> I think you are belittling the work done to get R running on as wide a
>> range of platforms as it does.
>
> ?
>
> I only saw a bit of excessive pessimism in that remark.

Yes, no disrespect was intended at all.  Porting to PalmOS is quite a
different kettle of fish compared to porting between (say) Windows and
UNIX, because the OS doesn't have a libc; if you use almost any
standard C library function your binary becomes a huge (because it
needs to be statically linked with the C library that comes with your
cross compiler).  A true PalmOS port of any piece of software often
requires a lot of work to replace standard C library calls with the
equivalents built into the machine.  Someone may have created some sort
of wrapper C library, but when I last wrote any software for Palm
devices, such a thing did not exist.

Admittedly, that was about two years ago, when I wrote some stuff for
PalmOS 4.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute