[R] R with Sun Studio Fortran 95 compiler

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 08:32:30 CET 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Bizuet Cabrera Fernando wrote:

> I am trying to compile R 1.9.1 and 2.0.0 on Solaris 2.8 with Sun Studio
> Fortran 95 compiler but I have obtained some errors which I enclose. I
> have compiled R with g77 GNU compiler and it was OK.

Please do read the final line of your excerpt and do as it says ....

> Does anyone know if R 2.0.0 has been successfully built on Solaris 2.8
> with Sun Studio Fortran 95 compiler? or at least, How could I achieve
> this? The R installation manual does not have any reference.

What is `Sun Studio'?  The R-admin manual does have references to what I
think is the same compiler, `Sun ONE Studio 7 Compiler Suite' (aka Forte
7) (possibly not the same version).  Forte 9 has also been used
successfully, if -xopenmp=stubs was added to LDFLAGS (and that is in the
R-admin manual for the imminent R 2.0.1).

> I want Sun Fortran in order to use the Sun performance library
> libsunperf since I noticed that R on Windows XP is twice faster than R
> on Sun Solaris 2.8 without library libsunperf.

Yes, well, not at the same clock speed.  Please do read the experience in
the R-admin manual that you deny exists.

Either you are talking about a different product with a very similar name
or you have missed a lot of useful information.