[R] glm.fit warning message

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 19:22:17 CET 2004

It is a warning: it may or may not be serious.

Such a fitted value could well occur if you have a cell in the
cross-classification which has only zero observations.  Then the fitted
value may be zero, and the distribution theory for a Poisson glm is
invalid in that case (as the MLE is on the boundary of the parameter
space, for example).

The problem may be overfitting the data, or it may be a structural zero
(that means that zero did not occur by chance, but would always have
happened).

I suggest you need to read more of the literature on Poisson aka
log-linear regressions to better understand what might be happening.