[R] R "sumo" package suggestion

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Nov 11 21:59:09 CET 2004

Good idea, IMHO, but there are some practical difficulties:

I guess the XEmacs packages are (most, if not all) pure elisp code, and do
not need other stuff to work.  However, quite a few CRAN packages depend on
external libraries or programs, and do not necessarily work on all platforms
that R runs on.  How would such dependencies be resolved in such a kitchen
sink bundle?

I have a somewhat related idea:  Start labelling packages with a set of
pre-defined categories, and a package can be labelled with more than one
categories (especially those *misc type packages).  It is then possible to
have facility to let people install all packages that fall in a particular
category (e.g., `spatial statistics').  I believe several systems have such
facilities, Debian being one of them, TeXLive being another.

Just my $0.02...

Andy