[R] whether R can import netcdf file format data ?

Benjamin Lloyd-Hughes blh at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 16:44:20 CET 2004

I've been using the ncdf package for reading climate data (mostly, NCEP/NCAR
and ECMWF reanalysis stuff). The package does what it says on the tin, but
can become quite slow when working with large data sets (e.g. a stack of
daily grids say 144x73 elements 1970-to date). Does anyone have any tips for
speedy retrieval? I'm thinking about typical drilling/slicing type
operations.

Cheers, Ben